Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Good Friend is Cheaper than Therapy

This past weekend, I made a trip back to my hometown of Gulf Breeze, FL. If you don't know where Gulf Breeze is, it is connected to Pensacola by a 3 mile bridge in the panhandle of Florida. It is most commonly known as LA-lower Alabama or the Redneck Riveria. We are not necessarily proud of these references, but I can easily overlook it when I go back home and am reminded that I grew up with the best beaches in FL right in my back yard.

GB is a small town with one elementary, one middle and one highschool. This photo to my left is a picture from my 5th grade graduation. In this photo is 3 of my best friends growing up that I have continued to stay in touch with and are still my best friends today. This past weekend we organized a reunion to all get back together in GB for the weekend and mix it with a little family time as well as a Father's Day celebration.

I have to comment on the picture above and point out a few things. First, I never knew that my sweet friend Kiel was such a little fashionista at age 10. Who knew that onesie's would be back in style 15 years later? Now, the white tights with open toed shoes are still up for style debate even for 1996. Apparently, socks with sandals were a pretty cool thing to wear too; but thank God that hasn't come back around. I love looking at this photo because I know we all got dressed that morning thinking we looked dashing and quite proud of the outfits we picked out for our big day-5th grade Graduation. What a milestone...

Kiel, Kalyn, Elizabeth and I have all been friends since early elementary school. We went our separate ways for college and all live in different cities now, but it hasn't stopped us from staying close. The beauty of great friends is no matter how much time passes and how few phone calls, emails or facebook messages you share; when you are reunited, it is as if we have not missed a single beat in each others lives. That is what best friends are all about. I love them each so much and look forward to many more years of friendship and quality time spent together back in the Breeze.

Spending Saturday on the beach stopping at Paradise, Islander and the Break :)

Beaching it with the girls
Dressing up for our Saturday night outing and Elaine's Bday Celebration
Cook out with our Mama's for Elaine's Birthday


Fitting some quality time in with our Dad's for Father's Day!


Me and Pops



Although it was a short weekend, I would say it was a huge success! Can't wait for the next one!

A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world. ~Lois Wyse

No comments:

Post a Comment